Kevin Coval

Everyday People Blog

5/04/2009

Faded.

Posted by Kevin Coval |

I've been working on a series of poems exploring my whiteboy hoods, mostly stupid shit I did as a kid growing up in the suburbs fascinated with hip-hop music and culture.

Many of these poems have become about ridiculous fashion choices I made around the odd confusions of identity. Over the next little while I plan to post some of the poems in this series. Please come back again soon and check them out... thank u- kc



Faded

the stylist at Michael Anthony Salon
has got no idea what a fresh cut is.

a step, a bowl, a bald wall
straight lined over the ears
like my head wuz a topographically diverse region n shit.

for prom i wanted to get a peace sign shaved in the back.
i went to Quick Cuts in the strip mall on Dundee Rd.
the barber was frail n divorced, dirty
blond hair, thirty somethin, her fingers smelled
like Kools. just put a restraining order
on her second husband. said she’d give it a try.

when i got home
n looked in the mirror

pac man.

a mercedes
hood ornament.

no fuckin peace.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

it's official, i miss your voice most of all.

Subscribe